MEDIA RELEASE 8 December 2010
The National Gallery of Australia’s major summer exhibition Ballets Russes: the art of costume opens to the public this Friday 10 December, and the Gallery is inviting all visitors to celebrate the opening weekend in style with a number of events and activities on offer.
Visitors can admire 150 costumes and accessories designed by renowned artists from the early 20th century, many of which have never been seen before, and for this weekend only, Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 December, they will receive a free upgrade to a Season Pass when they purchase one full price adult or children’s ticket. The Season Pass allows them to return to the Ballets Russes exhibition as many times as they like until it concludes on 20 March 2011. And for a bit of extra fun, visitors to the opening weekend can have their photo taken with people in replica costumes from the Ballets Russes as a free souvenir!
This Friday night will also see the launch of summer’s hottest Friday night venue, The Sculpture Bar in association with Veuve Clicquot. The bar, which opens to the public this Friday night at 6.30pm, is the best place to make the most of summer and chill under the stars in the stunning surrounds of the NGA’s Sculpture Garden while sipping on champagne. The bar will then be open every Friday night from 5pm – 10pm throughout summer.
Ballets Russes: the art of costume features 150 costumes and accessories designed by renowned artists including Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, Natalie Goncharova, André Derain, Giorgio de Chirico and many other artists. The sensory spectacle that was the Ballets Russes will be brought back to life with original design drawings for costumes and stage scenery, programs and posters, film and photography from 34 productions between 1909 and 1940. Ballets Russes: the art of costume is on show at the NGA from 10 December 2010 until 20 March 2011.
Opening weekend activities and events:
FRIDAY 10 DECEMBER
- Sculpture Bar in association with Veuve Clicquot 6.30pm til late. Sculpture Garden, National Gallery of Australia
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY (11/12 DECEMBER)
- Free upgrade to Season Pass for all visitors who purchase a full price adult or child ticket at the Main Entrance, allowing them to visit as many times as they like until 20 March 2011.
- Visitors can have their photo taken with replica costumes from the Ballets Russes. 11am – 2pm daily.
SATURDAY 11 DECEMBER
Paint your own matryoshka – create your own set of Russian nesting dolls, a unique Christmas present. Ages 18+. 2pm in the Small Theatre. $50 per person, $45 for members/concession. Includes materials and festive beverages. Bookings essential. Ph: 6240 6528
THROUGHOUT THE EXHIBITION
- Premium Sundays. Enjoy an exclusive viewing of the exhibition with curators and guides before the doors open to the weekend crowds. It’s the perfect way to relax, enjoy and ask questions about the many spectacular costumes and accessories on display in the exhibition. Bookings via Ticketek www.ticketek.com.au
- Family Activity Room. Located within the exhibition, children can enjoy hands on activities such as creating sets and costumes based on the Ballets Russes. Entry is included in the exhibition ticket. Other activities also include workshops and Children’s Trail.
IMAGE CAPTION: Mikhail Larionov Costume for a buffoon’s wife c 1921 from Chout
National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, purchased 1973
© Mikhail Larionov