Edgy Canberra burgers and beers joint, Grease Monkey, has introduced a new art prize, the GreasyBalds Art Prize, in a quest to uncover talented local designers, illustrators, and underground artists from the Canberra region.
As Australia’s only art competition inspired by a burger joint, it’s a fun new play on the famous Archibald Art Prize, and artists from all over the region are invited to take part. The Greasybalds will be judged by ACT Minister for the Arts, Tara Cheyne MLA; local artist and Design Lead at Hide and Seek, James Manning; Canberra Times Food Critic, Chris Hansen and Grease Monkey owner, Nick Tuckwell.
“We’ve always been about interesting ideas that connect with real locals in the Canberra community. This time we’re hoping to connect with as many local Canberra artists as we can. There’s just so much talent out there when it comes to art, and we want to see as much of it as possible,” said Grease Monkey Owner, Nick Tuckwell.
“Everyone’s heard of the Archibalds, we’re bringing the GreasyBalds to Canberra. As the region’s newest art competition, we’re inviting local and regional artists to create an artwork in the spirit of Grease Monkey.
“Artworks of all kinds are welcome – paintings, portraits, graffiti art, sculptures, digital art. Our only brief? To create an artwork that is inspired by the Grease Monkey brand. Take some inspiration and create in 2D, 3D or digital art.
“Our socials, website, menu, locations, vibe – it’s all available to inspire you. Take our brand’s personality and throw your best at it,” Nick continued.
Artists from the Canberra region are invited to take part now, with the chance to win the grand prize of $3000 cash, with a $1500 in cash minor prize. There’s also $750 in Grease Money (voucher) up for grabs for one runner up. The winners will be judged by a panel of notable Canberrans, sitting side by side judging will be Canberra’s top artsy folks and foodies.
“We can’t wait to unearth some really cool artists in the Canberra region and see what they create,” concluded Nick.
The GreasyBalds is open for entries now. Last entries are accepted until 11:59pm on 16th October 2022. For more information and to submit an entry to the Greasybalds, visit www.greasys.com.au/greasybalds
- Artists from the Canberra region are invited to take inspiration from the Grease Monkey brand – from socials, website, menu, locations, the vibe etc.
- The brief is to take the brand’s personality and throw it into an artwork, the medium is up to you.
- All entries must be submitted digitally. If your artwork is non-digital, you must submit no more than four photos as part of your submission
- Competition is open now and closes 11:59pm on 16th October 2022.
- The winners will be announced at a special event on Thursday 27th October 2022.
- The GreasyBalds will be judged by:
– ACT Minister for the Arts, Tara Cheyne MLA
– James Manning, local artist and CX Designer
– Chris Hansen, Food Critic for The Canberra Times
– Nick Tuckwell, Owner of Grease Monkey
- More info and to submit artworks – www.greasys.com.au/greasybalds
About Grease Monkey:
- Grease Monkey is a Canberra owned and run business, with a keen interest in all things local.
- Born and bred in Canberra, Grease Monkey serves mouth watering burgers, pizzas and fried chicken out of an old mechanic’s garage in Braddon. Other locations include Woden and Gungahlin.
- Grease Monkey also serves beers, wines, cocktails and shakes. Open 7 days, 11am til late.
- More info at www.greasys.com.au